I'm in West Virginia for reasons that are too long and depressing to get into. I have no friends here, so I feel a bit like a teenage kid, uprooted from his familiar surroundings and thrown into a world of ugly camo jackets, evangelicals, mullets and thrift store Wolf t-shirts. Think, Footloose or Pump Up the Volume, except that I'm 24 years old, not in school and far too creepy to be socially accepted. Sure, we can say I wouldn't want to be socially accepted here anyway, but after a while I can't help but feel like I've been launched into a small space station, miles above the earth, with only the internet as my connection to society.
My mom tries. Introducing me to people who are 40-50 years older than me, but somehow that just isn't cutting it. WV isn't all bad. If you like the woods, which I do, then it can be great. It's a beautiful state, and if I knew some interesting people, who shared the same interests and who were vaguely the same age as me, than it'd be a paradise. Unfortunately the odds of meeting such people in Calhoun County are slim to none. It's just me and my brother, who's pretty cool, but he isn't much one for conversation... Pretty good listener though.
Well before this blog turns into the bitch about West Virginia blog (though I guess it already has), I have a song I want to share from Animal Collective. It's a new song. A few days old maybe? I don't know. I guess I'm not that cutting edge. It's called Graze, and though it starts out pretty slow and ambient, it turns into a really groovy little flute jam, which I love. It's quite whimsical.
No one's gonna read this fuckin' blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment