Saturday, November 21, 2009
To the Girl From 7th Grade
If any old school chums are reading this, I can only wonder if they have any more clue about this than I do. I have this vague memory, possibly a dream of some sort of a 'new girl' in the class. She was this gal who wore kind of dated, 1960's skirts, and when it was her turn to bring in music for music class she brought in the Beach Boys, and she used dated slang and everybody thought she was totally weird, including me. At the time I was an obnoxious weird kid, who wanted desperately to conform, to be the late 90's definition of popular. Bleached highlights, baggy jeans, What Would Jesus Do bracelet (Midwest late 90's definition of popular) So despite listening religiously to Pink Floyd and The Beatles in the privacy of my bedroom, I'm sure I went right along with the making fun of this poor girl behind her back. Jesus, I feel like an asshole now. I'm not even sure I know where I was going with this now, except to somehow prove that I am indeed a conformist prick. I should have become good friends with the 60's girl. She could have been my little girlfriend, instead of all the time I wasted going after conceited fake blondes and girls who were way out of my league. Man was I a chump. Well this blog entry is dedicated to you strange 60's girl, I hope you never conformed to this piss stain society. I hope you're somewhere out there right now, maybe cruising Sunset Strip in your Volkswagen Beetle, rockin' out to the Beach Boys or the Ventures. I salute you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment